About Me

My photo
Thoughts on the Christian life in a fallen world

Monday, December 26, 2016

Finding God in the Waves - Mike McHargue

How I lost my faith and found it again through science. I really wanted to like this book, and had high hopes for it. I tried to get past the introduction by Rob Bell, someone who I disagree with on so many levels. Mike is known as science Mike and the Liturgist podcasts and writes for Relevant magazine. Also has a website findinggodinthewaves.com. The author describes a conference with Rob Bell and it seems that he had a part in Mike's conversion. Also through his parent's divorce and friend's conversation he came back to the faith that he had as a youth. The problem that I have is this is what liberal Christianity has come to in America today.
He denies the inerrancy of scripture and believes that stories like the flood of Noah's time was not a literal flood. 
On page 233 he describes "When I let go of the Bible as an inerrant document and embraced it as a multi-party discussion about God, all of a sudden, I began to see a book I could appreciate on it's own terms."
This is a dangerous statement to make and sounds like a watered down Christianity.
He described his church as "multiracial, multicultural, and affirming of people of every race, gender, and sexual orientation."
He describes his church as "the pastor and most of the staff were women."
It is hard for me to understand how someone can place their trust in a document that a person does not accept as inerrant and unchangeable. 
Many will accept this book as a good example of someone coming to faith, but it is hard for me to understand what the author calls Christianity.
Overall, I can not recommend this book because of my disagreements with the author. 
I have been provided with a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment